Friday, November 9, 2012

Blankets, sheets and more..... Just in time for Christmas!!

When we were in Ethiopia the first time, July 2011, to meet Marra, we were so touched by the love and attention that the children received from the nannies at the orphanage. I will always cherish the time we spent with them. One thing they did with the kids that I, being a maternity nurse and having spent my career teaching new parents to about SIDS, was astonished that they slept all the babies on their tummies AND put blankets over their heads when they slept. And I'm not talking about light weight receiving blankets either. Big comforters!!! YIKES! Well, as we spent more time there, I realized that the blankets were a way to provide some kind of a quiet cocoon for the babies. (still didn't agree, but I got it)
When we finally brought Marra home, one thing she would always do at bedtime was to pull the blankets up over her head. Me, so eager to attach properly, tried so hard to not let that make me sad. That it was ok that Marra didn't prefer to gaze longingly into my eyes as I rocked her to sleep:) I knew that would come in time! I was just glad she let me rock her!!
Over the past few months, in keeping tune with turning 2, she has been grappling with wanting to show independence, when for the first several months home, all we did was encourage dependence (=attachment). She started really wanting that blanket up over her face when she was falling asleep....like ritualistically. Get me into my cocoon where I know everything is just as it should be.....
Well, just a few nights ago, while rocking Marra, she lifted the blanket and peeked up and me and said "Mommy, IN!" Oh, did I ever throw that blanket over my head in a split second and get in her cocoon as fast as I could! She was inviting me into her most secure and secret place. A serious BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!! Tears. Lots of em!
This little story is so significant because it is an answer to a strange and silly opportunity that has been given us. We were directed to a fundraiser by a fellow adoptive mom who has been very successful in raising funds to bring home her two daughters from Ethiopia. Get this: She is selling SHEETS. Yes, bed sheets!!!!
I thought, now God, what in the world does bed sheets have to do with orphans and how in the world will I tie these two together in my mind and make this work? Literally, the next day, I share this beautiful moment with Marra and her blanket cocoon! That's it!!
the bridge here is this: Since I have committed my life to Christ, I have felt as though he is covering me. Protecting me with his love and guidance. Mercy and grace. Trust and faithfulness. They are like blankets, or sheets over me. The same way Marra uses her blanket. To over peacefulness, quietude, security, the same way we use God's word. Like a blanket on our hearts! Anyhow, that is my connection.
Now, SHEETS!!!!
The Sanders Collection is a company that offers THE SOFTEST sheets ever, for an unbeatable price! They are 1200 thread count Egyptian cotton/micofiber blend and are offered in every bed size (twin, full, queen, king, and california king) and in just about every single color imaginable! (see attached order form here ) All sets are 16' deep and accommodate pillow-top mattresses. They are said to be "high-end luxury at less than Walmart pricing"!! Each four piece set is only $35!!!!!!

Here's what  you do:
*You choose what you want (size, color and quantity),
*Multiply the number of sets by $35
*Then mail me a check (written to me, Amy Olsson) for the amount (tax is included) with a note as to what you are ordering. [Address 2905 Kling Ct. Frederick, MD 21703]

 I will place an order every time I get 12 sets ordered. It takes about three days for the sheets to be sent to me....if you are local I will deliver them to you. If you are not local, I will mail them to you for $5 per set. Then, you sleep like a king or queen in your new sheets knowing you helped another orphan make it to her forever family!!!

How's that for a win-win? :)))

We WILL get the funds to bring our next daughter home. And we will Thank each of you for helping us!!!
~Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment