Saturday, November 3, 2012

And so another Olsson comes to be....

On the heels of yesterday's post, I continue to share my heart. 
During these three years of complete and radical transformation in our family, I learned something. I learned that on my own, without Christ right here, I am nothing. Christ has revealed things in me that have left me with no choice but to trust Him. Give over all of my control and simply obey and trust. They really do go hand in hand. Obey His commands, trust His love, trust His plan.

During my long stay in Ethiopia last December, I had the true pleasure of spending time with two little girls who were living at the transition home. They were 7 and 9. So sweet. So loving. Though we did not speak each other's language, we played together, we laughed.  There was a moment when I was rocking Marra and singing a lullaby to her on the stairs at the edge of the courtyard. She fell asleep and I took her to the nanny to be put to bed. I went back to sit on the stairs and one of the little girls was sitting there. I sat down, smiled at her and was prepared to get out my ipad and work on some documents. To my great surprise, this little girl took my hand. She sat there, holding my hand for a moment, when I instinctively started singing the same lullaby I had been singing to Marra. Her face beamed! It was in that moment that God planted a seed. Not even home with Marra yet, and something was stirring in me.

After we were home about six weeks with Marra, through talking with friends and experiencing their joy and pain in welcoming older waiting children into their families, I decided to take a look at the list of waiting children in Ethiopia. Just scrolling through reading each child's story, one little girl's picture grabbed my attention. I inquired about her. The agency sent me a picture and some basic information about her. I knew it was WAY too early to start even thinking about bringing another child home. I spent many many days thinking and praying about this little girl. God, what are you doing here? Is this child supposed to be in our family? I showed her picture to Sten. He, being the rational one, said we needed to wait a bit. But that it was something we could maybe consider later. OK. 
So I prayed some more. God, when the time is right, let it be through Sten that you tell me. Let him be the one you speak to. That is how I will know. 
During Sten's last trip to Kazakhstan, he texted me and asked (out of the blue) if I had done anything to start our home study!! Where did that come from? Ha!
For the past few months, we have spent many tearful nights in prayer for our children, for our marriage, for our hearts, for the world. We knew God intended to continue to grow our family, but how? Was I to bear children again? Should we pursue adoption again? God, please speak boldly to us.
Then, we received an email about the very same girl I had inquired about in late February. "Were we interested and did we have a home study?" (Of course that immediately translated in my eyes to "Will you obey?") 

So, here we are. Up to our necks in paperwork and checklists. Doing all that is needed to bring this itty bitty girl into our family. We are trusting that God will provide all we need to make this happen. We are celebrating His love for the fatherless. His faithful and unwavering love for us, His children. I am in awe of what He has done with my life and how He is using us to give hope and love to orphans. 

Tomorrow is Orphan Sunday. Join us in stirring hearts for the fatherless. Consider your own life and how you can make a difference in the life of even one child. Let us all join together to glorify God through taking care of the children in this world who have no mommy or daddy to love them. Love them as Jesus loves us. Unselfishly. When we go beyond what is comfortable for us while serving God, THAT is when we are blessed. 

Skip your Saturday night out, your trip to the outlet mall, your daily Starbucks and give, to whatever orphan ministry you feel led. Look beyond this world and do something that will have an eternal impact.

Humbly, we thank you. For listening. For considering all of the orphans in this world. For giving.

~Amy and Sten


If you wish to donate to our adoption fund, click on the link below and be sure to add our names "Sten and Amy Olsson" to the purpose line.
 

http://www.westsandsadoption.org/ws/donate/
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment