Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Family

When we received Miheret's referral in January, we learned that she has a 12, almost 13 year old brother. We knew that he was living with family, but that was all we knew. He was on my heart, in my thoughts and in my dreams daily. So much so that we had our paperwork changed to allow us to adopt 2 children up to age 15, just in case.... I prayed a LOT about him and something in my intuition was telling me that we should definitely go visit him when we got to Ethiopia.
So we did. After we went to court on May 8, we traveled a short drive to visit Miheret's brother ("S" for now) and her uncle. It was a rainy, VERY muddy day. We arrived and met the family one by one. The uncle was very happy to meet us. He showed us pictures of Miheret and her brother when they were toddlers. We talked of their birth parents and what led to her being orphaned. It was a lovely visit. Then we met "S", Miheret's only brother. I cried. He cried. It was a magical moment that I will remember forever. It was evident during that meeting that "S" needs us. He is our daughter's brother and has no mother or father. This is us, telling you that we are adopting TWO children. Miheret AND her brother will be joining our family, forever.
His process is behind in the paperwork circus, as I refer to it. So, he will be a few months behind in coming to America. Please pray that we can go to court and give our consent to the judge while we are in country bringing Miheret home. It will save us a trip to Ethiopia and thousands of dollars!
We are so excited how this has worked out. We were able to come home from Ethiopia and tell Frehiwot that she was getting her "seester Miheret" AND a "brudder", too. I know that she is watching all of this unfold with the same wonder and excitement that she brought to us every day. We look forward to sharing her memory with these two precious children who have such a special place in our family already!


Miheret's expression when she learned that she won't be separated from her brother!

Thank you for sharing in our joy! Stay tuned for FUNDRAISERS!!! (ahem, sheets and facebook-a-thon!)

5 comments:

  1. So happy for those children, coming to America and to a forever family with a mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a huge thing for Miheret to be able to stay connected to her older brother and even live under the same roof!!! That is so important! I'm grateful for your and Sten's fierce mama and papa hearts, and I can't wait to see how this unfolds. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome Amy! Very happy that it is all working out for the siblings to stay together. Love my sheets and looks like I need to order more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am truly so happy for your family. I love what your family is called to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for you guys and happy that brother and sister can stay together! Praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete